Saturday, January 27, 2018

Happy New Year

I just finished reading The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer.  A wonderful book!  He walks through the detailed process of justification and sanctification, as the Word of God directs.  His words were profound, yet merely a reflection of the Word of Truth.

2017 was a remarkably deep process of sanctification for me.  Towards the beginning of the year I titled it "The Great American Fast," which it was nonetheless.  However, by December 30th, as I was reflecting, it needed a new title.  All that came to mind was "A Spiritual Root Canal."  Ouch!  I've never even had a root canal, but know that it would be painful.

The American Association of Endodontists begins its description with a simple definition. "Endo" is the Greek word for "inside" and "odont" is Greek for "tooth."  Endodontic treatment treats the inside of the tooth.  They continue by stating that a root canal treatment is an often straightforward procedure to relieve dental pain and save your teeth.  Patients typically need a root canal when there is inflammation or infection in the roots of a tooth.  The endodontist will carefully remove the pulp inside the tooth, clean, disinfects and shapes the root canal, then places a filling to seal the space.

As I continued reading, my stomach was churning.  I hope I never have to go through a root canal procedure, nor do I wish it upon anyone.  However, the Lord has given me a Spirit of pure Joy as He has relieved my pain, saved me, cleared an infection of deep rooted sin, removed my heart of stone, disinfected the space, shaped a new soul, and continues to fill and seal the treated area (my entire being).

I once thought as a Christian, as a disciple of Christ, as a believer in the One True God, that justification and sanctification were one in the same and were complete in me.  Well, yes, BUT He has humbled me, as a "sent" disciple, as a "missionary," and has reminded me that He has actually only begun the process of sanctification.  Calling my family out, and sending us to Uganda has only laid foundation for Him to go deeper into the "tooth," deeper into my heart, deeper into the infection in order to redeem my life and reconcile my heart back to His.

2017 has not been easy. Actually, its been the most difficult year of my life.  Maybe for all of us.  I'm pretty sure the kids would say the same.  Yet, our wide faith has taken deep root.  The Spirit has given all of us a greater understanding and knowledge of Himself, firsthand.  Paul reminds me in 2 Corinthians that we are to "delight in weakness, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."  So when James teaches me to "count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience," my life realizes this truth and draws nearer to the Father.  He beckons my focus by giving good gifts - these are not what the western world considers good, but what my heart rejoices in as I come to know Him with a deeper understanding.  He opens my eyes and causes me to gaze into His.

So, as I begin a new year, I take a deep breath and pray that time will develop even a greater love for Him.  I pray that I end even just this day with a revised hope, a new strategy, a deeper communion, and a passionate love for my savior like never before.  I also pray that He opens doors to use me and that I am obedient to walk through them all.

My prayer for you reading this are the same.  May He draw you near to himself.  I pray that you develop a heart and love for your King like you've never experienced before.  May He be with you, rest with you, and open your eyes to His glory all around you.  Father use my friends and family for your Kingdom's sake, for your Name's sake.

Happy 2018!
Joanna

No comments: